Thread: More Piracy Near Somalia

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by Stan View Post
    Wayne,
    I knew I would get a straight answer out of you
    Was not attacking your words, rather trying to see where you were going with them. Honestly, I don't see many on the dark continent going anywhere with this current principle. Perhaps an unfair statement (knowing how far along we've made it without too much foreign intervention), but my experience leaves me with nothing but skeptical doubt.

Hmmm, what if all our good advice was never attached to a deal or cash ?
    Kind of like you telling your son or daughter what will inevitably happen if you do X, but in spite of your educated conclusion and experience, they go ahead and do IT anyway. What ever happened to being rewarded later following a good deed...LOL Not too sure about Somalia, but if the DRC peacefully separated into tribal or cultural nations, it certainly wouldn't end there. We're back to greed and getting rich quick. I have never been of the opinion that those folks will live together as long as some are better off than the rest.

Other than what I conclude is the DRC's answer (not that I think its the best answer), I have no real clue how to turn off the current trend. Sadly, if something doesn't happen quickly, we'll have 2 or 3 generations to wait out before anything does take hold. It is little more than blood and treasure, and far too easy to use ethnicity as the driving force when your soldiers have yet to complete 3rd grade

Regards, Stan
    Stan,

Can't disagree with your thoughts, especially since you have BOG experience that I lack. From what I read about Africa, I am reminded of how I saw Okinawa a year after reversion--seemed the "person in the street" learned the worst habits from the former occupiers (or colonial powers) and from their new rulers--That is really too bad. Wish I knew how to get "the apple to fall" a lot farther from the tree other than trying to set a better example now and waiting several generations. (I'm as impatient as any other typical American I guess.) Seems like we need to let them learn the hard way (like the prodigal child you mentioned) and be prepared to keep away the other "grown up" nations who would try, to our detriment, to take advantage of their youthful missteps.
    Last edited by wm; 12-05-2008 at 08:11 PM.
    Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit
    The greatest educational dogma is also its greatest fallacy: the belief that what must be learned can necessarily be taught. — Sydney J. Harris