Quote Originally Posted by jmm99 View Post
The chant of "JAG-driven, risk-averse micro-manager types" is not particularly useful to any sort of reasoned discussion.
I apologize for coming off that way, but I think the point is still valid. And I think it applies equally to the face-mask OR the body armor issue.

I've encountered two basic kinds of commanders at BCT and higher levels. The first type is of the majority, and they are the ones who pass legal opinion straight down to their subordinates without even adding flavor to it. They tend to be "yes-men" or "there's nothing I can do about it-men". They basically elevate the JAG section to command of their unit.

The second type, which appear to be in the minority, develop a fundamental command philosophy which, while they DO consult with, and listen to the advice of legal council, they have the wherewithal to balance legal opinion with command responsibilities. And that includes having the backbone to disregard legal council when it stands in the way of moral issues and mission accomplishment.

If we, as leaders, just followed orders and policy, there would be no need for commanders. Unfortunately, the Art of Command is a rare skill. One hopes it's not a dying skill.

I'm sure that Jack Fletcher at Midway wouldn't have been particularly interested at what JAG had to say on the issue. Of course, I'm of the opinion that he was right to launch his deckloads at a beaten and out of range enemy. And that he was properly exercizing command authority.