Don't write on duty unless the article/book is directly related to your current duty position. Rob's case study is an example of the book relating directly to his duties.
I'd mention I took advantage of a number of SWJ council members to provide me feedback - which not only told me what to change, but what to retain. Being able to have Marc and John on the project was a huge help. Bill was great at shaping the EXSUM. I also got a great deal of assistance in editing-there was no way I could get it all done myself in any reasonable amount of time. Bottom line was I'd never put together something that big, and having some friends to help kept me focused.

It took allot of help to get it done and I did not realize it would when I started. All of that equals time. I'm glad it was something I could do at work (in my spare time), but something that big also follows you home. Tom mentioned the process also educates the writer, you better believe it!

Having said all that though, I'm grateful for the opportunity and the experience.

Best, Rob