Thread: Military Theory vs. Philosophy

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by reed11b View Post
    I think you missed the forest for the tree. The point was not that the x-whatever was perfect for COIN, but that it was part of a unit structure, and training reform that was applicable to COIN (and other LIC and HIC for that matter) and thast the contriversial opinion that other systems could replace the venerable MG could be tested. Wilf's concepts could be tested in much the same way. Admittedly all these tests have biases as pointed out by myself and others, but they beat no testing.
    But without a sound philosophy, how do you know what to test?

As for the whole social service comment, you DO KNOW that I am a PTSD counselor right? Are you trying to set me off?
    Reed
    Not trying to set you off; I'm trying to stimulate an alternative way of thinking about the issue. Your OP stated this:

Grandiose theories are like vapor and seem to change to conform to the users desires of the moment, perhaps this is why they are popular, but what real and beneficial purpose do they serve? An analogy;, both social service worker’s and philosopher’s goals are to "help" people find spiritual, emotional and metal wellness. Though the goals are related, philosophy has very little impact on how social service providers go about there work. However, small and focused and testable changes (invariably thought of by social service workers themselves) modify and improve of social service providers work on an on-going basis. How many lives have social service providers had a real impact on? How many has Philosophy impacted.
    Without writing a dissertation, I disputed your assertion that Philosophers have not had a greater impact than (government) social workers. I haven't dedicated scientific research into it, but I've been a social worker before and have had a little experience with some of the pitfalls of the system.

My experience with social workers has been uniformly poor, and I've come to the conclusion (independent of your post) that most social workers suffer from "thinking errors" and poor philosophical grounding. Typical outcomes including enabling/encouraging/excusing "bad" behaviors, "milking" the system, ego driven "saving the world" syndrome and living vicariously through the misadventures of their "clients".

The worst outcome imo is reserved for the theory that they support and are supported by a bureaucratic system which is designed to crush the life and humanity out of all who encounter it.

I would support a lean system that would "teach a man to fish", but giving fish away pays better....
    Last edited by 120mm; 12-10-2008 at 09:56 PM.