Quote Originally Posted by Jedburgh View Post
I agree 100%. The "lack of will" applies to loyalty to the nation of Iraq taking second place to sectarian/ethnic loyalty among members of the security forces. Unfortunately, with the continuing descent into ever more bitter sectarian conflict, this tendency will continue to expand and fragment the security forces.

There is no easy solution - we are damn near being caught in a Catch-22.
That goes back to my adage I posed somewhere else on the forum that this is "Counter-Mess" warfare where Catch-22 is the bible and only doctrine. Actually, since the majority of the violence is occurring within about a 35 mile radius I'm beginning to look at this as a major violent riot and perhaps LAPD advisers along with military tactics would be better served. I read somewhere the other day that Iraqi forces sat by and watched as several Sunni Iraqis had petro poured on them and they were set on fire alive. I'm going to assume that the Iraqi forces watching were Shiites. And the violence is increasing in the area. You would think that sooner or later they would get tired of this lifestyle. But what can you do? The Shiites were beat up on for a long time and now these Sunnis are still attacking them. I'm surprised the Shiites haven't been organized enough to create a single majority atrocity similar in nature to Rwanda. There must be some type of security going on to prevent this? I don't know. Saddam certainly was able to create Rwanda style action.