I'd recommend starting with Kimberly Kagan's Iraq Reports I-X. The first one is linked here http://www.weeklystandard.com/Conten...3/343fthms.asp. Not only are her reports fairly thorough, but they are fairly accurate as well (IMO).

Mark Kukis from Time Magazine wrote some very accurate articles from 2005-2007 ranging from Basra to Fallujah to Diyala.

If you want to read of an account of Al Qaeda using Mao's techniques and tactics to occupy and establish the Islamic State of Iraq, you can read my article The Break Point published for SWJ. It parallels Bob Andrews The Village War: Vietnamese Communist Revolutionary Activities in Dinh Tuong Province, 1960-1964.

Regardless of any data collected, I'd urge you to be highly critical of the results. I have yet to see any game theory model or systems data accurately reflect the actions on the ground. In our desire to measure activities to define metrics of success, we often fail to be critical of the source and motives.

With that said, these are good start points for you. Good luck with your research.

v/r

Mike