Did not mean to create a fake Army vs. USMC debate. I know they are both working side by side at the tactical level in Iraq in Afghanistan. My career has been supporting the USMC, but the top enlisted analysts I have seen have been Army.

My bigger point was the "hardware/systems" approach to the GWOT intel. All of the intel guys who are actually fighting the war keep saying "no more systems, no more stovepipe database, no more software to learn" But the beltway keep on going. Below is a list of talks from an upcoming beltway intel conference sponsored by the usual suspects (BAE, SAIC, GD, Lock-Mart, etc)

2nd Annual Intelligence Analysis & Processing
http://www.idga.org/cgi-bin/template...21&event=11195

Accuracy To Analysis Through Technology
Future intelligence technology requirements
Current Intelligence technology overview (problems)

Sensor Technology: The Intelligence Edge
Current Intelligence Systems
The future of intelligence technology

Global Analysis Technology
New technology initiatives
Challenges inherent in intelligence technology

Intelligence Analysis Challenges For Early Warning
Intelligence data management
Systemization of intelligence data for quick response

Disruptive Technology For Intelligence Analysis
A comprehensive look at the latest disruptive technology for Analysis
Challenges in developing new technology
Future needs

See where I am going? God bless technology and intel (ultra, overhead imagery, sigint), but it is creative thinking and deep analysis that will help us win the long war. Of course there is little contractor money in these areas. They all want to sell you a magic box they will do it all. (mostly with the next upgrade, which will cost twice as much)

I agree that the USMC has much to learn from Army intel. USMC intel has really only come into its own over the past 15-20 years. The Army Warrant Officer Analyst program is something I think the USMC should adopt tomorrow; the USMC currently lacks a band of senior analysts who are able to crack the hard issues within its enlisted corps. There are many sharp intel officers, but staff and leadership duties prevent them from deep analysis in operational units. Most of the analysis is left to hard working/dedicated, but very inexperienced corporals and below.