Quote Originally Posted by Icebreaker View Post
One of the first lessons that I was taught, that I actually used was the policy of "praise in public, and cricize in private"...
For some introspective types, public praise is embarrassing and makes them acutely uncomfortable, they'd much rather hear a quiet word of praise away from the crowd.

OTOH, for others, who can lie about anything, private criticism will get turned into "He tried to chew me out and did I ever back him down..." when it's told to others later and they'll rationalize it away. Worst thing you can do to those types is criticize them publicly, that hurts worse than a whopping fine. Of course, they'll hate you but who cares. Tough munchies.
It makes me wonder what undercurrents are going on?
True.
I have always been glad to have Great Britain as our best friend and ally, and hope that these issues will pass, if only for personal reasons. For years I have been tormenting my friends of Irissh descent with the question - "When was the last time the Irish Army won a war, and when was the last time the British Army lost one." I love watching their faces turn even redder
"Ah, sure and if the Irish didn't have the whisky, they'd rule the world..."

Being Scotch Irish, I defend nor attack either the British or the Irish. -- but I do agree with you that the UK is our best friend and ally in Europe and hope that any bumps in the road are small and insignificant. They have, unfortunately, had to put up with far worse than that from us in the last 90 years or so.