Quote Originally Posted by Rex Brynen View Post
Meaning what, in this case? Almost everything dual-use is already barred from Gaza, as are quite a few things that aren't. Commercial food imports are so restricted and unemployment so high (largely because of trade restrictions) that even before the ceasefire broke down, more than half of Gaza's population depended on UN food-hand-outs. In some areas of Gaza one-third of children show signs of physical stunting—something that only appears after prolonged malnourishment, and which was previously quite rare in Gaza.
As far as I am concerned, Gaza is Egypt. The West Bank was ceded from Jordanian control by his Highness King Hussein. Something I have never forgiven for, and nor would the members of my family, whom he knew well, and had they lived to see it. If he wished to give a homeland to the Palestinians (which I have no problem with) he should not have quit the act in the way he did.

I will freely admit that actually have a bit of a problem with the restriction of foods stuff. It does not sit well with me, and has never been adequately explained to my satisfaction.

However, while malnourishment may have been rare in Gaza, it was never unheard of, nor is it in the entire Mid East. You can see under fed kids even in Israel.

Rex: I am also unclear as to the situation concerning the provision of water and electricity to Gaza, because to my estimation Gaza seems to get something like 65% of it's electricity and water, from Israel and for free. This is a commonly banded figure amongst the media.