Thread: 'America's Broken Army' NPR Series. Cavguy makes COL Gentile proud ...

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Could the 'truth' lie somewhere in between

Schmedlap and Eden? I place 'truth' in quotes because I fully acknowledge that 'truth' in training is very subjective, subject to interpretation and means different things to different people.

I think Scmedlap's version of unit training broadly tracks with my experience over almost 30 years of doing and another almost 20 of closely observing and 'overseeing.' I think Eden's comments also track with all that.

The important thing to me is to acknowledge that we are now training better at the unit level than we ever did -- but we still are not doing that as well as we can or should...

Eden says:
    "When is the last time anyone maneuvered a brigade in the US Army?... (and much else) ... Coordinated all of the above as a division staff within the space of three or four days?

We used to do that all the time...well, two to three times a year, anyway, and still screwed the pooch almost every time..."
    I do not dispute that was done nor that it was training but I will point out that it was generally done poorly -- as Eden acknowledges -- and in my observation unrealistically only once or twice a year and with no penalties for failure or error.

That's a long way of getting to the major point -- how you train is a great deal more important than what you train.

It is far better for combat forces to do the basics well than to do the exotic or upper levels poorly...

Added: Wilf said:
    "Look out for people who believe that it is their job to "deliver training" instead of "teaching people how do things." and then testing them to make sure they can."
    YES!!!
    Last edited by Ken White; 01-14-2009 at 05:30 PM. Reason: Addendum