Thread: Is Cyber a new warfare? Debate (catch all)

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by William F. Owen View Post
    Which means that Cyber warfare is not much different from EW. Maybe it is a subset of EW or "Spectrum Denial." I have no problem with Cyber as long as militaries concentrate on disrupting militarily relevant means and the GCHQ/NSA go after the other stuff. Forming a "Cyber Corps" is just dumb.

...and what I said before. If Cyber degrades combat power I am all for it, the same way as I am all for EW, which is actually not as well exploited as it should be.

If someone can sensibly differentiate between "Cyber" and "EW" I'm all ears.
    JP1-02 defines EW thus:
    electronic warfare — Military action involving the use of electromagnetic and directed energy to control the electromagnetic spectrum or to attack the enemy.
    Cyberwar is the larger use of EW and other means to attack the enemy's cyber capabilities while defending one's own. For example, were I to put sugar in the gas tank of your generator so that it quits and you can no longer run your computer network, that would be a form of cyberwar. It would not be EW. Were I to use my Jedi light saber (aka laser/directed energy) to cut the cables that connect your generator to the distribution panel so you can no longer run your computer network, that would be a form of cyberwar that happens to also be EW.

By the way, based on the JP definition. I guess that if an everyday enemy rifleman happened to stumble through your high powered jamming signal and get cooked (sorta like what happens to meat in your microwave), he would be an EW casualty, but not a cyber casualty.
    Last edited by wm; 01-14-2009 at 06:54 PM.
    Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit
    The greatest educational dogma is also its greatest fallacy: the belief that what must be learned can necessarily be taught. — Sydney J. Harris