Quote Originally Posted by Steve Blair View Post
As something of an aside, you might also find examples from some of the Chicago gang wars in the 1920s. Not 100% sure on that, but I do have some recollection of such things taking place.

If you exclude fire ships and other such implements, I think you're more likely to find examples of VBIEDs in the terrorist and criminal sphere than you are the purely military one...at least prior to the 1960s.
Regarding the criminal sphere, the targeting tends to be different. A pipe bomb or some other type of explosive device emplaced in a vehicle with the intent to kill a specific occupant(s) is very different from a vehicle stuffed with explosives intended to inflict general death and destruction upon a proximity target, whether fixed, like an adjacent building (or the crowd in a marketplace, etc.) or mobile - i.e. remotely initiated to hit a passing convoy. Criminal emplacement of explosives in automobiles targeting a specific individual has been a tactic almost since the first days of automobile ownership - and continues to be common today. Just my personal bias, but I wouldn't count that as a true VBIED - Guido wasn't killed by a VBIED, he was killed by a pipe bomb placed under the seat of his car.