I'm not sure that I was suggesting that training should lead to immediate expertise, and if that's what came across I most certainly mis-expressed myself.

When I said training was broken at A co. 3rd bn I didnt mean that because we didn't all leave as experts it was broken, I meant that my class had a something close to a 40% washout rate, 15 suicide watches, 9 of which were serious, we had instructors making serious advances on trainees (one of them apparently married a trainee within weeks of her transfer to Airborne school, before she was MOS Q'd), trainees were being recycled for drinking, and drug tests were not given despite the cadre being made aware of drug use, and the academic "testing" consisted of being able to remember the answers to multiple choice questions already provided to you, not having any actual comprehension of the material. Don't get me wrong, there was plenty "right" there, and the quality of training was leaps and bounds better than BCT, which also had plenty of positive aspects, but since a riot nearly broke out when we had our final sensing session with an SF officer from SWC command (I'm not kidding, trainees actually stood up in the middle of it and walked out in disgust), I'm pretty confident that something was seriously broken.

But again, I might be wrong, I always allow for that possibility. I've only got two years of ROTC in college back in the 90's and 1.5 years enlisted under my belt, maybe my perspective will change in 5 years.