Thread: Improving PSYOP (and CA as a tangent)

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Council Member

First of all I'd like to say even though I don't post that much in this forum I'm a regular lurker, and the person who referred Voodoun to this board. After reading this thread I couldn't help myself but post on this topic.

First and foremost, it's been a current trend for commanders to use PsyOp as command information, i.e. handing out mission related messages and material to notify the populace of what the unit we're supporting is doing. This is a valid function of PsyOp, and a great way to utilize us as an asset. Mind you though, this is just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to our mission and possible capabilities. Not to mention it's probably the TPD's least favorite task.

As far as "atmospherics" the TPD send those to higher and that's what is used as a basis for products and missions that the TPD will receive. In essence that's one reason the Psyop team should establish good report with the unit they're supporting, the information they receive the more complete the information they send up will be. Every pair of boots on the ground is an intelligence collector.

I noticed the complaint on products requested and products received. I can tell you that the TPD does not choose the products, nor does even there Company... they can request, but doesn't mean that they will receive. More goes on in products than just the locality. If you want something that, for example, targets Sunnis or Kurds, and somehow that product can be misconstrued and used as propaganda by the Shiite, it won't be used because the chances of bleedover is high. Likewise you can't produce products that in anyway can be perceived to support or target any particular tribe, or group.

Comics, PsyOp has never had a good history with comics.. to note a previous such mistake would be the infamous Superman comic from Serbia/ Kosovo.

I have a few other things I would like to comment/ respond on, but I'll take a break for right now.
    Last edited by kville79; 01-21-2009 at 11:40 PM.