I suppose my perception of this is skewed by the fact that the only Active Duty time I really have is months spent either in the schoolhouse at Bragg surrounded by instructors and non-AIT students with longish hair and scruffy facial hair, or in a sea of 82nd guys with razor sharp high and tights. Very interesting perspectives.

As far as rolling the sleeves, we were shown to tuck them up and in, not out. Running around Camp Mackall in Cat 5 in full battle rattle was bad enough with cuffed sleeves and unboused boots, I cannot imagine what 140 degree heat is going to be like.

How effective are techniques like soaking a keffyiah in water? Moderately, I assume?

Bill Moore mentioned the superficiality of fitting it, and I totally agree, so my question is, what are some of the deeper 'fitting in' methods you would suggest? I mean, I'm as culturally aware it gets, having grown up with Arab culture in my intimate surroundings, but what specific things can soldiers who work with the people do to fit in better?