Quote Originally Posted by Ken White View Post
My contention is that the Army has placed far too high a value on costs for initial entry training on the rationale that many won't make it through their term of service and thus are disposable (and that has a concomitant effect on the individuals -- who aren't stupid...); that our time 'constraints' are due to the WW II / Mobilization base mentality and are unnecessarily restrictive on the lower end of the spectrum while granting an unduly long term hiatus of a sort at the upper end, Officer and Enlisted.
BINGO! It also explains partly why the retention rate for 4 year initial contracts is higher then 2 year initial contracts (though I imagine that those that do 2 year contracts are less devoted to begin with). I would dump those two year contracts if I could. I think it also explains why we micro-manage (believe me, one clueless private on your fire-team will test even the most laid back sergeant) and why we do not train in manner that encourages initiative and thinking. How many disillusioned soldiers quit after one or two enlistments because they tired of being treated like children. There is a low ratio of prior service E-5 and below on this board, so this may not be the best sounding board for that info, but my personal experience working with vets suggest the number is higher then it should be.
Reed