Come on Ken, you're kind of arguing with yourself! Will I, or won't I fight the way I was trained? And if I change, won't it be because I have learned, and therefore evolve to be more successful against the given threat/environment? We're really saying the same thing. Be prepared, but be adaptive.

I think you may be getting too symantic on the "warrior" vs "soldier." America has fielded several armies of ametures armed with a warrior spirit that did just fine against a some top-rate professional armies, from the Revolution through WWI and WWII.

Professional armies in America are a fairly new-fangled Cold War invention, and the jury is still out as to if it is a good idea or not IMHO. I get your point, in that a good boxer is going to take out a great untrained fighter without breaking a sweat. That's why we don't fare so well in "first battles." But when that fighter dusts himself off and gets back on his feet, the wiser for the knock-down; the boxer better be prepared to either start adapting or start sweating thanks to the training he just provided to his opponent.