I'm with FSO regarding the idea of this as a cost-saving measure - that just wouldn't compute, given the millions that we flush down the toilet on a daily basis for ridiculous reasons.

But, regarding the discrimination and unfairness aspect, I have to side with Bullmoose. Speaking as a former single Soldier, E-6 and above w/out dependents aren't hurting financially in this day and age. If anything the GWOT is a windfall. It was three deployments over 5 years that enabled me to save enough cash so that, when I ETS'd, I could live in DC, attend business school, and do so without working, and still have enough cash leftover to attend law school.

I'm not saying that there won't be a 1 in 1000, unforeseen circumstance that will make life difficult for one person (though I'd be pretty curious to hear one). But that is generally where the dozens of special programs (like AER) come in to play. Beyond that, just what did this guy get himself into if BAH is the only thing keeping his head above water when he deploys, starts getting combat bonuses, stops paying income taxes, and his living expenses plummet?

I had another deployment prior to 9/11, as well. My BAH then was $0/month just like those who are discriminated against now. It didn't dawn on me that I was being discriminated against because I was single. I was just happy for the opportunity to serve.