So the Army instituted an approximately year long policy that you fell into. There are many who fall into these, who knows what the bean counters were attempting to acheive when implementing this. We could go round and round about it, but what it really comes down to is that you are in the Army and get caught up in these things. One could argue that no single soldiers should receive BAH and should all have to live in Gov't quarters. Would love to see officers 3-4 men to a room, but guess that'll never happen. Seems I remember a day when there were such things as BOQs, anyone else remember these? If all single soldiers had to live in on base quarters then there would be no BAH issues with regards to single soldiers. I could also make the arguement that why do you deserve BAH at a higher rate than say an E-6 or E-7? Why are you authorized the standard of living of a house yet above enlisted members are only authorized an apartment or townhouse? Point is there are some things that the Army does that are not fair. So it's fair that BAH for my location actually decreased this year? Yet electric went up 20% and everything else increased (inflation)? Figure that one out. Yes in recent years we have been spoiled as a force, money being thrown around for everything, yet once the screws tighten everyone wants to scream no fair. Think it's bad now wait a couple years. Understand you feeling slighted, but I don't particularly feel for you. As a single E-5 and E-6 I remember having to live in the barracks, BAH for me was unheard of, so there I am living 2 to a room and sometimes 3 or 4 to a room, like to see a bunch of Majors and CPTs doing that.

Sorry to rant but BAH and fairness of such is a sore subject, but not one that any of us will be able to change, too many highers reap the benefits of the way it is now. Ask yourself this who needs it more, you or that E-3 with three kids? Yes no one told him to have three kids.