Quote Originally Posted by FayeValentine View Post
...In fact, I’ve got two more specific questions, though they are just as elementary. What are some specific instances at any point in history where U.S. troops have had success in switching from COIN to conventional warfare?
I can give you two more recent than Van's example -- sort of. I say sort of because they really show two units of the US Armed forces switching from conventional to COIN and back almost on demand. THE 1st Marine Division in Korea in 1950 went into a conventional fight, did that for several months and then in early 1951 was tasked with other units including the 5th Regimental combat Team of the US Army to clear some North Korean remnants who had been by passed in the US and South Korean attack to the north the previous fall. This was effectively a COIN operation that lasted three months and was successful. The Division reverted to conventional operations afterwards. Relatively short period but the ability to shift methods and techniques was almost instantaneous each way.

Another example may be found in the operations of the two Airborne Brigades in Viet Nam in 1965-66. Both had trained extensively in COIN techniques and for conventional operations on about a 50 : 50 basis overall (there were unit variances) for the previous couple of years both performed that mission. Both also were during that period in infrequent but heavy conventional battles and went from those battles to two days later delivering truckloads of Rice to villagers.

As I said, that's a sort of an answer to your question; not precisely what you asked. I'm sure I can think of an example or two that goes directly to your question but it may take a bit (I'm old...). However, what your question really asks is "can units switch gears to change from COIN to conventional" and I submit those two examples say -- absolutely.

I'm happy you won your debate and your example shows that good preparation can carry one through. Same thing is true with units and combat -- good training (preparation) enables them to excel...
...does it not endanger national security to have the COIN field manual online or for news outlets and officers, either retired or active, to so openly express and debate over what kind of techniques and training our army is moving away from and more towards?
Van answered this well but I will throw in one more thought. It has been said that we can afford to lose COIN efforts but we cannot afford to lose a major war. That's true, I think -- and thus what we need is simply balance, we have to be able to do both and we can do that, not that hard.

Congrats on a good job.

P.S.

Pay no attention to JMM; he's worried about what he's going to do when he grows up -- I've determined to not grow up so I don't have the problem...