Couple of early thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Thornton View Post
...This question of why we believe what we believe is related to looking for ways to reinforce what we (or our bosses) believe, counter what we wish not to believe, and trying to confine our methods of exploration to those which are in line with the latter.
True and a very significant impactor on change. This ties in with Mike F's discussion of Mitzberg's approaches to change. This is highly subjective, but my guess is that the 'status quo' fighters normally run about 50% of the pack -- the key is where they are in the heirarchy and that, of course, varies over time. Possibly more important is whether that heirarchy self-selects for status quo fighters...
...For all the discussion by the M&S community, the search goes on for models that we can point to for support of our risk averse institutional decision making - "well, the model supports it..., so this is the way we should go." Indeed we are far more comfortable with Jomini than Clausewitz because Jomini seems to say that any __________ can do this job given they follow the list. We do this even though implicitly at the lower levels we know it requires art to pull it off under certain conditions - conditions which are subject to change, and as such are difficult to anticipate.
I agree with all that and it certainly encapsulates the problem. I wonder though about the preference for Jomini. Be interesting to get some data by branch and experience for preferences of Jomini, Clausewitz, Sun Tzu and others (Gustavus Adolphus and Saxe man myself -- think those two were well ahead of the other big names... ). Also for preferences of checklists and matrices (that is a serious thought).
I applaud the Secretary of Defense for his efforts, and I think he as a leader understands the issue (I don't think Congress as a body does - although I've met 2 members of the HASC who do I believe - as a "body" I think its counter to their nature and at odds with their other priorities). His testimony on the challenges of leading DoD bear it out. I also know a few in the military education arena who are working on this at various levels, and who subscribe to the idea that education is for preparing for the unknown.
Critical points all; If the 'leader' of the military establishment doesn't "get it" then the establishment is unlikely to do so. Far more importantly, if Congress is more concerned with the politics of the issues than the practicalities, then there will be no improvement -- or it will be far more difficult to attain any improvement. Things like this LINKand this quote from that link; "There's growing talk in Washington that both Boeing and Northrop Grumman could win the contract." Scary and sure to be a logistician's nightmare.
In my opinion, this should be our focus. The rest of the DOTMLP-F should be nested in the idea that our ability to adapt faster than our enemies and innovate at all levels is the key achieving our objectives and reducing risk (tactical, operational, strategic and institutional).
Yea, verily!!!