Quote Originally Posted by tulanealum View Post
For a great look into the Soviet experience in Afghanistan, read The Hidden War. I can't remember the author's name, but he was a Russian journalist who offered a very fair and impartial perspective of the fight...
I just read a very favorable review in Proceedings of The Great Gamble: The Soviet War in Afghanistan.

Quote Originally Posted by William F. Owen View Post
I have to say Mark Urban's military history is a touch variable in my eyes... His book "Big Boy's Rules," was not a great work either.
Just to eliminate any confusion for the board, there are two recent books with similar titles. As William points out, there is Big Boys' Rules by Urban and there is also the recently released Big Boy Rules by Fainaru. I only mention this because I thought William was confused when I saw him associate Urban with that title, but then I did some googling and saw that he is correct and there are two similarly named titles.

This came to mind because I read a favorable review of Big Boy Rules (by Fainaru) on the same page as the review of The Great Gamble.