Father with a son who has deployed three times, I don't really care whether the pictures are in the MSM or not. As you point out, access is essentially already there as pictures have appeared on the internet. The pictures of the funerals are and have always been in local Papers (Full disclosure; were I to have to attend that son's funeral, I would probably get violent with any media type or, most especially any politician, who dared appear and who did not behave in what I believed to be an appropriate [i.e. totally unnoticeable] manner).

The whole thing is a political issue; the previous Administration decided not to do it; the current one may decide to do it -- make no difference to me or, I suspect, to most but not all parents, I do know some who agree with the ban, do not personally know any who object to it. It will make a difference to the politically inclined and active; most of whom on both sides don't have kids involved or really deserve attention from anyone.

I think the quote you provide is correct; most Americans will not react to deaths in combat, they expect those; they will react if they believe the number of deaths is not worth the cost -- and the calculus to arrive at that balance is very much an individual thing. There is an admitted ideological facet; those that support the party in power will tolerate more casualties than will their opponents...

Thus I expect all those who have screamed for the release of such photos to be suddenly silent -- and for their fulminating about withdrawals to be muted.

I've answered your question with my opinion and perceptions; I have a question of you. Why do you find the topic fascinating?