Quote Originally Posted by 1258dave View Post
Will,
How does the 12 man sqd work?
Is the SQD LDR part of one of the fire teams?
Is the medic organic?
What does the PLT HQ look like?
The 12 man squad works just like the USMC arrangement except, as far as I can tell, the squad leader is IN one the fireteams. Don't know about the medic. I think every platoon has one, and not sure about the PLT HQ, though based on what I have heard from the class of 67' 73' and 82, an officer carrying his own radio, IS a platoon HQ!
Why only one MMG (PICKEM DEEP, the P=pairs right?) and why not a SAW in every fire team?
I'm still exploring this one. THis is my general impression, based on talking to folks. Something critical to understand is that the IDF is extremely informal and adapts to circumstance very quickly. No two platoons seem to be the same!
And the big question: what is the impact of conscription? If any?
The impact is that the infantry gets very high quality manpower, and places for the infantry are oversubscribed in some units.
Seperate question: have you seen tests with a PLT built with 6 x 5 pax Fire Teams?
The UK tested 5 x 4 man fire teams and it worked extremely well, in the attack - but that was the only thing tested. The 6 x 5 man teams is merely an enhancement