Addendum to my argument (and then I will explain my answer(s) to wm's and Ron's questions/statements):

Every society has a 'hub of power' (similar in concept to Clausewitz's center of gravity). This is the thing or sum of things from which power is derived. It can be a characteristic, locality, resource, or capability, or any combination of those things. Essentially, it's the centerpiece that holds a system together. The hub has an orbit within which (its 'reach') move about various classes. The power of a class is determined by its relationship/proximity to the hub and other classes. Some classes may have such a proximity that they are able to project their own influencers upon the hub itself (i.e. patrons). Some classes have no impact whatsoever (alienated classes; slaves). Some are in between (plebs). The more similar classes' proximity, the more competitive and democratic the society. The more dissimilar, the more submissive and autocratic the society. Beyond the hub's orbit is everything outside that society. Some hubs' orbits may be small or large, or overlap with one another. Hubs attract classes like moths to flame. The classes then use the four masks to justify/explain their conditions, their actions, and their relationships. The classes closest to the hub distribute resources, knowledge, wealth, and prestige according to the values they define for the masks in justification of their own position, building systems of patronage. The patronage systems are reflected in the masks. Sometimes the patronage is deliberate (i.e. Saudi Arabia), sometimes its ad hoc (United States IMO), and sometimes its unintentional.

Using that model, I'd explain the privilege of entertainers and athletes as a function of their patronage. They get away with it because they can.