Yes -- and my point way back when. There has always been domestic objection (there was even a very slight bit to Japan) and it's always been sort of a tepid effort on attempts to export 'governance'. That's one reason it has been very unsuccessful, the other being that the locals knew it might not work for them and chose some aspects to use. I would agree we occasionally got pushy with our system but knowing both domestic and local opposition correctly killed such ideas, I'm not at all sure I'd even buy exporting much less imposing. Not a very imposing record of imposing...

As an aside, re: the financial system FUBAR, I only note with some glee that the same precise thing happened in all those well governed Parliamentary Social Democracies 3,000 miles or so to the east of us.

Marc can properly take pride in the fact that Canada almost alone in the world did not loosen its rules on banking as did the US, most all of Europe and much of the rest of the globe.

I will forego commenting that the principal precipitators of said FUBAR here were certain northeastern Congroids who insisted on loosening the rules the system had provided and did so by pulling an end run on said system. That would be off thread and I never go there.