Quote Originally Posted by William F. Owen View Post
Purely for information, am I to understand that the following are indicative of the normall HTT mission, and can anyone tell me why they do not fall under the normal G2 staff and Provost Marshall responsibilities?

...and...

Additionally, from whom did these people receive their tasking? Someone other than G2?

These don't ordinarily sound like an HTT "core" mission, but they certainly would be peripheral to judging the Human Terrain "Map". Understand that the reporter could be completely off, but it sounds like this particular team go off into G2 territory, as you point out.

HTTs should co-exist, but not receive any "tasking" from G2. By my understanding, the HTT Leader should go directly to the commander to mutually work out his/her boundaries, and what kind of product he can/is tasked to produce.

If I were a Brigade Commander, I would have my HTT working on ways to accomplish my Brigade mission without applying military force/applying minimum military force. Kind of like a POLAD and staff. I'd also like them playing devil's advocate on my kinetic ops, having them research and lay out the consequences of those ops within the community at large.

In addition to their core mission of mapping who is related to whom, in what ways and how.