I've always wondered about the follow-ups. The process, in my experience, was a check-the-block waste of time because nobody seemed to care about the purpose behind the procedure.

At the end of my second deployment, a doctor ran down a list of around fifty questions ranging from "were you exposed to exhaust fumes?" to "did you see dead bodies?" I answered yes to every question, as did most Soldiers in my company. One would think this requires some kind of follow up. I did not (and still do not) think that I needed to see a counselor for any mental health issues, but I thought it was odd that the doctor was content to receive an affirmative response to every question that indicated the probability of mental and medical health concerns and not follow it up.

Even when I ETS'd, to the question of "do you have any concerns about your health?" I answered yes and wrote a lengthy list, ranging from exposure to depleted uranium, to drinking filthy water, eating tainted food, being exposed to bodily fluids of foreign nationals who probably have never received a vaccination for anything in their lives, to being around filthy animals, etc, etc. Again - nothing came of it. I even asked the doctor, "you don't think I need to be tested for anything?" Her response was, "like what?"

How should I know? I'm not a doctor.