Quote Originally Posted by William F. Owen View Post
Seems to me that, if the article is accurate, - and I do not assume it is, - then there are some serious question marks over what HTTs do and more critically, why experience military personnel with relevant and usable military skills (military police) and being farmed out to them.
I think the answer is because "experienced military personnel" will ignore any information that doesn't apply directly to them. Or see it only in ways that fit their own, rather narrow paradigm.

It's been my experience, in the care and feeding of American military personnel that they will a) stay in their lane and b) slap down anyone who appears to be out of their lane. This prevents anything approaching creativity and thought from happening.

This, I think, is a weakness of the military mind. Academics have roughly similar weaknesses, but in a different way. I think they'd make a good devil's advocate tool for a commander smart enough to use them as such.

And I don't think Human Terrain is a good term at all. More likely that Human Weather Map would be a better term.