Quote Originally Posted by Hacksaw View Post
Schmedlap = you are in D.C. attending law school, hence largely surrounded by "elites" whose family mores have changed (there was a time in this country when elites felt compelled to provide service to nation, but another thread) so that the idea of serving in a branch of the armed service is illogical...
I was unclear. I was in DC, stationed there and attended Business School after ETS. Now I am in smalltown America, attending a small law school. Two different worlds. Same bizarro attitude.

But, your basic point is still valid. That attitude that you speak of is, imo, common in DC. I was at an alumni reception for my law school shortly after getting accepted. It was held in DC because we have lots of alumni working there. A woman at the reception began asking me where I went to school, what I did, what I was doing now, etc. When I said that I went to a military college, she immediately exclaimed, "oh no, did you have to serve in the military?" I made sure to reply that I did choose to serve. It was completely lost on her. She gasped at my affirmative response and followed up with, "OMG - did you have to go to Iraq?" I made sure to reply that I did have the opportunity to deploy. Again, it was completely lost on her. "Oh no, that's terrible!" I thought she was going to fall over. I just stared at her in bewilderment.