Thread: Uncle Sam Wants U.S. Muslims to Serve

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Allow me to clarify....

I see the potential benefits from having muslims serve. Thats why I stated that putting a muslim face on our efforts is paramount. But, that doesn't mean we should actively recruite muslims to serve. Today, any muslim American is free to enlist or apply to attend a military academy, I see no real benefit in "actively" seeking muslims to join the military.

Bill, I'd like to share your optimism but I just don't, because I see no evidence that sways me to beleive there are very many muslims out there who will publicly stand up for America against radical muslims. Sure, I read the occassional press release, the occassional appearance in the MSM condeming this terrorist act or that.

I've served with a couple muslims too in the Army, sure, they are good Soldiers, but I never served with one during combat so I can't personally make judgement in that regard. One of my best friends in high school back in Oregon was an Iranian kid named Atta Shirazi. We got along just grand untill the Iranian hostage crisis that is. We remained friendly to one another, in fact, we remained friends, but he completely supported the taking of American hostages. Even though he lived in America and enjoyed the freedom, when push came to shove, when faced with an ultimatum, Islam won out. And I firmly beleive that is the norm, not the exception. To him America was NEVER right, and I mean never, no matter what the issue was, and Islam and muslim leaders were right about everything. He could execute the most amazing contortions of logic to justify his wrong headed opinion on any issue. He never failed to support Islamic leaders no matter what. And thats just the simple truth, for the life of me, I could not see how he could possibly have talked himself into beleiving half of the stuff that came out of his mouth.

But during my assignment as the Operations NCO of the International Student Division of CGSC, I had the opportuity to interact with lots of muslim students. I have to tell you in all honesty, in none of those discussions did I ever get the feeling that Islam takes a second seat to any other consideration, none.

As to this pitch to recruit muslims. I agree that it could be a boon to our IO efforts, but I don't see the advantage in creating a campaign to actively seek them out and entice them into signing up when they are free to do so as it is. And, a muslim who voluntarily contacts a recruiter or applies to attend a military academy at least demonstrates a degree of desire, appreciation, a willingness to take a stand over those who might be approached, enticed, talked into joining would likely possess.

We don't need a special campaign. The consequences of making a misjudgement might be catastrophic. Muslim Americans who desire to enlist should be allowed to do so.

Political correctness be damned. I'm not prepared to disregard 2000 years of historical evidence, who is right, who is wrong? It doesn't matter, what matters is that history should be our teacher and we should have learned by now, keeping muslims (non-American muslims especially) at arms length is not only prudent, but necessary. I wish it were different, but it isn't.

What matters in this war isn't so much how we feel about it, but how the enemy does.

Hopefully one day, it will not be so.
    Last edited by SSG Rock; 12-28-2006 at 04:32 PM.
    Don't taze me bro!