I have an interesting perspective to share:

My senior year at USMA, during one of my core courses, "History of the Military Art," I had Phd-equipped civilian instructors for both semesters. I was initially disappointed--as a cadet, I was looking forward to a commissioned officer, hopefully with wartime experience, to be my instructor for at least one of those semesters. Both instructors have some notoriety as good writers at present.

The first semester, the instructor never left a seated position behind his desk in 40 lessons. He spoke in a monotone voice, and lectured each day for 50 minutes straight. It was an opportunity for me to get an extra hour of rack after the morning strength and conditioning practice in the morning and wrestling practice in the afternoon. My disappointment continued.

The second semester, the instructor's first impression didn't help. He looked like the antithesis of a military man. His teaching style, however, was fantastic. Kept the audience engaged. Spoke with passion. Extremely well-read. Always prepared. Facilitated discussion and student learning. Understood that he had a responsibility to help us prepare for eventually leading men in combat. It was my favorite class of 4 years and I considered him the best instructor I had while at the Academy, regardless of status. He was one of my early role models of "teacher, coach, and mentor." Whatever you think of him or his views now, he was an incredible teacher.

As I teach 2LTs and Captains now in Armor BOLC III and MCCC, I know his example made me a better teacher, coach, and mentor.

The moral of the story: No matter the institution or the population, in any large group of people, you're gonna get some good ones and some bad ones. Wanna produce a better student? Then the quality of instruction is very much dependent on the quality of the instructor.

The first guy will remain nameless. The second guy was Fred Kagan.

Had West Point not existed, I would be an overweight, homeless, alcoholic Italian right now. (USMA has postponed my dream for 15 years, and I still have 9 more to go!! So far away!!)