Thread: Anbar Awakening Council: Friends Close Enemies closer?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Supporter of SOI

Cavguy,

I know that you know all of the rest of the details.

Roger that. As you know I was a strong supporter of the Awakening and concerned citizens (SOI) program. It's exactly what I would have done if I had been smart enough. No one can offer a better solution because there was no better solution.

MikeF, it always concerns be when I see dumbed-down versions of a particular narrative being promulgated as the solution somewhere else. We must be smarter than that in how we conduct whatever warfare we are in.

Best and V/r,

H

Default True...

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    MikeF, it always concerns be when I see dumbed-down versions of a particular narrative being promulgated as the solution somewhere else. We must be smarter than that in how we conduct whatever warfare we are in.
    I found I'm simply better at execution. I'll implement the policy...Sometimes, I ask to many questions

v/r

Mike

Default Didn't mean ...

MikeF, um, just to make clear, I didn't mean to imply that your version of anything was dumbed down, or for Cavguy either. Just that I've seen this floating around in the made-for-public-consumption media, and it always makes me grind my teeth.

Default That's why I listen...

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    MikeF, um, just to make clear, I didn't mean to imply that your version of anything was dumbed down, or for Cavguy either. Just that I've seen this floating around in the made-for-public-consumption media, and it always makes me grind my teeth.
    If I've learned anything in life, it's that I don't know anything

Minzberg calls this approach ad hoc. He also felt that mid-level managers were the only ones that could effectively change bureaucracies outside dynamic leaders in simple structures...In that way, it is Rob Thorton, Niel, and my time

So, sometimes I opine, but I always listen...Particularly to Ken, Goethe, and Wilf.

Made for consumption media is just that....That is why I turned off my tv...too much fear-mongering.

v/r

Mike
    Last edited by MikeF; 04-23-2009 at 06:12 PM.

H,

Agree you can't transfer directly 1 to 1:

In a "small footprint" occupation (which both IZ and AFG are, despite our numbers), there is a transitive principle - identify the functioning (real) power structures, and either leverage or neutralize them. But don't work directly against them, especially as a foreigner. It will generate problems.

Now if you can allocate resources and authority enough to control (aka Chechnya), you have a chance with a direct challenge strategy. This can backfire, as Afghanistan's problems are partially the result of the destruction of its traditional power structures from the 1970s to the present, which facilitated the rise of the Taleban.
    "A Sherman can give you a very nice... edge."- Oddball, Kelly's Heroes
    Who is Cavguy?