Quote Originally Posted by yamiyugikun View Post
...the situations of Iraq and Afghanistan are clearly different than Vietnam. You guys in Afghanistan are trying to help the Afghan people rebuild their lives, so that the conditions that give rise to war are stopped. That is real social justice and caring. I read in Time magazine last week that Admiral Mike Mullen, the Joint Chiefs of Staff was trying to help the Afghan people establish farming.
Contrary to many myths, there was a great amount of "real social justice and caring" in Viet Nam and we started that way, then digressed badly and later eventually go that part again raised to the fore.

Unfortunately, by the time that succeeded, it was too late due to earlier major mismanagement of the problem by the Army having done a tremendous amount of unnecessary damage. We just got a lot smarter a lot faster this time around -- partly as a result of recalling the errors we made in Viet Nam and refusing to replicate them.

On your broader question, Others above have answered better than I could but I will paraphrase Bob's World: People tend to disparage what they do not understand -- even when the perception is flawed.