hi,

i'm new to this forum, this subject and with only a little naval experience, i don't think i can add very much to the debate. also please forgive me if my terminology is off. i do read quite a bit. so here's my list if it helps.

pre-counterinsurgency-variations of it was practiced before it had a name

Seven Pillars of Wisdom- T.E. Lawrence
Cyrus the Great (Illustrated Edition)-Jacob Abbott(one of the most amazing leaders but it wasn't his conventional wars that got him 50 references in the old testament)
On War- Carl Von Clausewitz(still valid today)

colonial counterinsurgency- its good to know where we've been to know where we're going

The Pacification of Algeria- David Galula
A Savage War of Peace: Algeria 1954-1962- Alistair Horne
Modern Warfare: A French View of Counterinsurgency​- Roger Trinquier
Counterinsurgen​cy Warfare: Theory and Practice- David Galula
The Australian Centenary History of Defence: Volume 7: An Atlas of Australia's Wars (v. 7)-Lieutenant-General John Coates (has battle maps of the Malaysian emergency and the peace keeping mission in East Timor that Kilcullen was a part of.)

The Conduct of Anti-terrorist Operations in Malaya aka ATOM
A Handbook on Anti-Mau Mau Operations(these republished military manuals can be ordered from Hailer Publishing-http://www.hailerpublishing.com/biglist.html)

The Art of War - Mao Tse-Tung
Guerrilla Warfare- Ernesto Che Guevara

COIN AND THE NEW GENERATION
The Army and Vietnam-Andrew F. Krepinevich Jr.
the accidental guerrilla- David Kilcullen
FM 3-24 -counterinsurgency manual- U.S Army
FM 3-07- stability operations- U.S. Army
Dereliction of Duty: Johnson, McNamara, the Joint Chiefs of Staff, and the Lies That Led to Vietnam- H. R. Mcmaster
Learning to Eat Soup with a Knife: Counterinsurgency Lessons from Malaya and Vietnam-John A. Nagl and Peter J. Schoomaker
The Utility of Force: The Art of War in the Modern World-Rupert Smith
Descent into Chaos: The United States and the Failure of Nation Building in Pakistan, Afghanistan, and Central Asia-Ahmed Rashid
Baghdad at Sunrise: A Brigade Commander's War in Iraq-Peter R. Mansoor

EXTRA READING

The Practice of Adaptive Leadership: Tools and Tactics for Changing Your Organization and the World-Ronald A. Heifetz(Petraeus mentioned this in several interviews and the authors are the most respected in the field)
The Anthropology of the State: A Reader-Aradhana Sharma(Kilcullen mentioned the need to know this subject and it involves tribal cultures involved with globalization)
Rules For Radicals- Saul Alinsky( its a realistic primer for people who want to change the system)
Anything by Al Qaeda(we must know our enemy after all)
48 laws of power- Robert Greene
33 stratagies of war- Robert Greene

http://abumuqawama.blogspot.com- this website had the best reading lists, it even includes great articles from military review