Quote Originally Posted by Van View Post
I got some very mixed messages from this piece, and they suggest shallow thinking.
Ya All*h! Thank you for saying it first.

There was much I could agree with if for example I thought that "tortoises are stealthy" - rather than just slow and thus usually quiet.

I have a great deal of respect for many US Officers, and I don't adhere to any of the popular stereotypes, bar the few that consistently let the side down.

To my mind these men have always suffered from the "how to do something" mindset, rather than the "why to do something" mindset. This creates a self defeating mechanism, when the why has to be invented to justify the how. - and that is WHY these men

• either ignore or corrupts military history to the degree to they do.
  • look at other conflicts and armies and consistently draw the wrong conclusions in terms of informing their own decisions.
  • promote faulty and misleading concepts, as forcing mechanisms for their agendas.

This all gets covered in a thick layer of pseudo-intellectualism, and poor writing, using silly words, so the ultimate output is actually quite attractive.

- and strangely I feel that a fair few of us share this belief, yet SWC appears not to be forum in which to present it. - and yes I am an opinionated SOB, but you be reading this post if I wasn't.