Thread: Why do liberal professors hate the military?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by yamiyugikun View Post
    ...After meeting with him, I talked to this other undergraduate girl about my experience meeting with that professor. She said, "There's something about military guys that makes them very sexy, something about that uniform and their toughness makes them attractive. But they are also really scary cause they use guns."
    Like the old crack:
    He: "Do I scare you?"
    She: "No!"
    He: "Would you like me to?"

In my undergraduate days (a few years back), I was older than my classmates as I had served five years enlisted in the Coast Guard, but was taking the Army's money to pay for college. I met a young woman from one of the pacifist political groups at a party. When she found out that I was in ROTC and the National Guard, she loudly berated me, insisting that I was a cold-blooded killing machine. Before the party was over, she invited me to her room for the night. I didn't take her up on this as, even if she had been sober, she was clearly as neurotic as a shaved monkey.

Years later...
    One of my brothers married his second wife in the UC Berkley faculty club, where he, a Engineering PhD candidate and his English PhD candidate bride were attending school. I had my dress blues with me, and a different brother (I have three brothers, this one is the other soldier) and I briefly discussed our options for attire. We felt that uniforms in the UC Berkley faculty club would go over like flatulence in a mosque, especially given that the first description of our new sister-in-law included the phrase "peace activist". So we went with civilian attire.

About a year later at my wedding, my brother and I were both wearing uniforms as were several of the guests and the chaplain performing the ceremony (Army, Air Force, and Coast Guard in uniforms, former Navy and more Army and Air Force in civilian attire among the guests). During the reception, the English professor scampers up to us and says "You look so good in your uniforms! Why didn't you wear them to MY wedding?". God bless him, my brother had the presence of mind to look her in the eye and say "We didn't want to do anything to distract attention from your special day." (Note: I'm a commissioned officer and my brother is [and was at the time] a senior non-commissioned officer, and did an excellent job of what NCOs are supposed to do, keeping me out of trouble.)
    Last edited by Van; 05-08-2009 at 05:43 PM. Reason: grammar, format, and a lack of coffee