Thread: Mathematics of War

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by MikeF View Post
    From what I googled on Gourley, apparently he is working out in San Fran right now. I may contact him to see if he can share some more of his findings; however, if his team is analyzing a working hypothesis, then they might not want to share.

I was suprised that he submitted it to Ted, and even more suprised that they accepted it without any analysis.
    SWJ isn't set up to peer review work like this, I think, at least not on its own. Gourley's not the only one publicizing these results piecemeal. His team member Michael Spagat is also giving talks on the matter (hopefulyl in advance of something). I'm not surprised. I don't expect the weight of the material to be such that it would be challenging for review, so far the results don't contradict what has come out before, and to be honest I expect the end result to be what most interdisciplinary "research" teams put out: a huge TO-DO list ready made for a brand spanking new, regularly funded academic chair at some big league university.

NOTE: Gourley's not only all over youtube, but his Younoodle page is higher ranked than his faculty one *and* he's all over Facebook and LinkedIn. This ain't a bad thing, but just an indicator of how early this research probably is.

IMO, Dr. Gordon McCormick (NPS Defense Analysis) could probably have presented a more thorough briefing.

Regardless, his presentation is sparking discussion amoungst practisioners and academics. That is a good thing.
    This I find kind of disturbing, considering the key result was discovered almost half a century ago. What the hell have we been doing since? I mean it really feels like Gourley et. al. are shopping for new office space and maybe a graduate degree program, but why isn't there a whole field of Quantitative Conflict Studies out there?
    Last edited by Presley Cannady; 05-11-2009 at 08:24 PM.
    PH Cannady
    Correlate Systems