Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
I picked this off the Marine Corps Times today.

JACKSONVILLE, N.C. — Marine Corps Forces Special Operations Command is redesignating two of its companies as battalions, officials said in a news release.

During a ceremony Monday at Camp Lejeune, N.C., Companies A and B of the Marine Special Operations Advisor Group will be renamed 3rd and 4th Marine Special Operations battalions. The battalions will become the group’s two primary subordinate commands.

This redesignation is part of the command’s overall plan to standardize its four battalions, the release said.

Could this expansion of two MARSOC Companies to Battalions coming out of units that were designatied Marine Special Operations Advisor Group indicate the Marines are expanding their Advisory Role to do a lot more Training for special operations units in the Afgani Army?

There was a story in the NY Times on May 1 (front page and page A-10) about a Marine E-4 Cpl. and a E-3 Lance Cpl. advising a 30 Man Afgan Arimy platoon.

The firebase they are defending in the middle of a controlled Taliban region in Afganistan has beaten back 70 assualts in the past few months.

An interesting application of Marine frugality? Or an indication they are getting into the Advisory business big time. I found a copy of it in my local library. Tough duty and two gutsy young men.
Perhaps this has more to do with the Marines desire to form a SOTF like organization more in line with the SF battalions? Anyone know what the Marines are planning along those lines? I heard rumor MARSOC wanted to form a SOTF in RC South for OEF but there was push back from the Army regarding endurance. Seems the Marines could only do two turns (rotations) for a SOTF and then would need to step down to recover and refit based on USMC deployment regulations? I don't have all the facts but recall hearing this back in March while in theater.

PT SENDS