Quote Originally Posted by RTK View Post
Anyone used Google Earth in conjunction with SIPR SIGACTS on a local computer to conduct pattern anaysis? Does anyone else see the utility in this?

I know that there is a system coming online which is similar to Google Earth for SIGACT tracking as I tested it for the Army in October. However, has anyone used existing technologies to do the same thing in the interim?
There is definite utility to be mined in the conduct of pattern analysis and geo-profiling with SIGACTS.

Google Earth is a good system, as far as it goes, and can be fun to work with. However, it is not really set up for true geographic analysis - you definitely need dedicated GIS software for that. Along with the commonly used (and pricey) ArcViewGIS etc. etc., there are also decent free software downloads that you can use.

Here's a good FREE DOWNLOAD package, intended for the LE community, but certainly of use for the type of analysis you mention:
Crime Analysis Unit Developer Kit

Developed by NLECTC-Rocky Mountain's Crime Mapping & Analysis Program (CMAP)

The Crime Analysis Unit Developer Kit includes a collection of documents, publications, examples, and tools has been researched, collected, and made publicly available by the Crime Mapping & Analysis Program (CMAP). The CAU Developer's Kit contains numerous free software applications, including:

* Two GIS programs - A complete, self-contained desktop Geographic Information Systems.
* Two Geographic Profiling utilities - Dragnet-K, the stand-alone original GP software from the University of Liverpool, and Ian Oldfield’s GP Spreadsheet for Excel.
* The Crime Analysis Spatial Extension - Tactical crime analysis tools for ArcGIS similar to the USGS Animal Movements Extension for ArcView.
* Two Link-charting programs - Network, organizational, flow, and linkage diagram design software utilities with analytical functions.
* Six Statistics programs - Complete and robust statistics as powerful as any expensive application.
* OpenOffice - A complete office program suite that includes a word processor, spreadsheet/grapher, relational database, presentation/slideshow, diagram tool, and mathematical modeling utility.

All software is provided free of charge by CMAP and the developers for use by the US law enforcement community.
Of course, effectively implementing any type of geographic analysis and integrating it seamlessly into overall ops requires a trained and experienced intel analyst who understands GEOINT in the context of the mission. Unfortunately, they're in short supply.

In the second time in as many days, I find myself recommending another list-serve from the LE community. The CrimeMap List-Serve is invaluable for putting you in touch with the wider LE, academic and research community for this subject area. If you post your GEOINT RFIs to this list-serve, you will definitely receive a wealth of expert opinion in return. As with the ORIML list-serve I recommended in the other thread, this list-serve is not heavy on traffic, so you will not end up with your e-mail clogged with messages.
CRIMEMAP, the MAPS program listserv, serves as an information dissemination tool. CRIMEMAP was established by in order to get crime analysts, researchers, geographers, and other interested parties communicating about crime mapping technologies related to criminal justice applications. The listserv enables subscribers to post and respond to questions, and also serves as a vehicle for MAPS staff to announce upcoming conferences and new publications.