Marc - some good points. I'd say the place to start would be to look to the GCCs and the subordinate component commands and see if in fact their SFA capability requirements are being "fully met", or are they just being "filled" - and then looking to see what steps should be taken to make it the former vs. the latter.

The desire to reconsider policies (HR or others) is one of willingness to take on some hard issues and reconsider self defining beliefs. I think if an institution can't get past that then its recalcitrance is exposed as policy risk and they may have postured themselves for irrelevance (at least the perception of it given current requirements). Fully supporting the current and anticipated requirements are as important as being able to support those which you might identify as critical, but that have not yet been made real. It goes back to something we talked about over beers (and which I believe you have on you web site).

Best, Rob

P.S. thanks for the comments via email on the other doc - I'll shoot you an email tomorrow.

BTW - really liked this
people do things while structures condition what people may or may not do (in the sense of rewards and punishments)