It was strange to review this link and notice the focus on Oil Prices as an economic weapon.

Years ago, Thomas Malthus explained that the food production capacity of the world's would soon be exceeded, so population clashes were inevitable. Now, due to changes in technology, we have plenty of food and plenty of people, but, as in Malthus' time, a rocky reliance on market systems for distribution. This often produces imbalances, cyclical booms and busts, and, indirectly, large scale population resettlements (voting by feet).

Of course, Malthus, like a proper Victorian, was overly-focused on England's Great Empire, and the teaming masses of places like India.

What we learned about oil allocations is not that what goes up must come down, or that the much-dreaded peak was exceeded, but that markets, people and technologies adjust (sometimes imperfectly).

Now, we face a possible threat of Pakistan's fall (with consequent risks to the control of nuclear resources). But we have to remember the Malthusian outcomes. India's large population generally feeds itself, has a huge Army, and deep understanding of nuclear weapons and threats (including disproportionate attention to the Paki threat).

I understand why an American might see Pakistan solely through their own eyes, but, as with food, oil and other crises, we need to remember that "we are not alone."

If I was Indian, I don't think I would be waiting for Dick Cheney to return to power before I took steps to secure the threats on my own doorstep.

It is a big, and growing, world---for what it is worth.

Steve