Thread: The Stop Snitching Phenomenon: Breaking the Code of Silence

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default One Bright Spot

When rapper T.I. was arrested on federal weapons charges part of his release was doing 1500 hours of community service. He did the vast majority of it by going to a lot of high schools and middle schools in the Atlanta area. He gave student body presentations where he said, in effect, the gangsta lifestyle was BS and they're selling you a product. He essentially called BS on the entire way of life. He has tremendous credibility with that age group and the reception was astounding. Better than 10,000 hours of public service announcements. Others I've talked to in the know say the gangsta rap/lifestyle has become a caricature of itself and is in the process of playing itself out. Also been a very small but perceptible change since BHO became POTUS.

On the other hand, Bill Cosby tried a few years ago to do what T.I. did and pulled back a bloody stump for his trouble. He acquired a lifetime's worth of hatred and erased all prior accomplishments by giving one speech.

Schmedlap: Amen!

Speaking of rappers....tequila this is for you....thought it might make a great song you could sing to the insurgents at night

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVuI-0_LwXY
    Last edited by slapout9; 05-21-2009 at 09:50 PM. Reason: fix stuff

Default A view from the UK

Catching up and found this report - started to read it. Whilst many things here (UK) are different from the USA, so no commercial culture on stop snitching, I am sure echoes are found - notably in the inner-city, black communities. The Met claims that inroads have been made, under Operation Trident, their campaign against black on black shootings and members of the community have come forward. the op website: http://www.stoptheguns.org/

Anecdote from Northern Ireland, after 'The Troubles' ended, shows that police action against regular problems, e.g. abandoned cars led to quiet community co-operation and support.

Gaining co-operation is not limited to inner cities / poor areas / high crime areas and can be found in wealthier areas or communities like students. Perhaps the lower experience of crime, especially violent crime, contributes.

More when report is fully read.

davidbfpo