First I want to apologize for the grammer mistakes I made in my earlier post today. My only excuse is that I was running out the door of my motel for a meeting. For someone that seems to write memos all day, I really blew it!

Quote Originally Posted by William F. Owen View Post
I think you'll find that a few of us a SAW sceptics. You might also want to examine the capabilities of modern 40mm natures.

There are also some very potent South African and German 40mm HEDP. IMO, 40mm is currently the way ahead, combined with RGs and LAWs. The new M72s are very capable weapons indeed.
My days are sometimes interesting when I can get out of the office.

It's interesting that the meeting I was running to was another demonstration (and a little play time) with the various FN Scar-L/M16 prototypes and the SCAR-H in all its 7.62 goodness. After all the various M16 variations and the HK 416 (very interesting weapon and possible upgrade for existing M16s and M4s) and HK 417, I find myself drawn to the FN SCAR and fire it every chance I get. I digress.

Anyway part of the demonstration was the easy on/off EGLM 40 mm grenade launcher. I can see your point of the newer 40 mm grenades. They are more effective now than they were 4-5 years ago. The effect of these new rounds, far exceeds their literature, in real life. I was especially impressed by the MEI Hellhound. I concede your point.

I have the literature for the Milkor M32 and M40 on my desk somewhere. (My assistant is worth her weight in gold but if she cleans my desk up, I can't find anything.) I fired the original South African Six Pack. However, it used only std 40 mm rounds. I was impressed by the extra rounds but still unimpressed by the std/old style 40 mm grenade. The new 40x46 rounds are most impressive even if fired in single shots. I have seen a video about the Milkor MGL and the effect of the various new 40x46mm rounds. Even more impressive after todays demonstration. However, Milkor has a new MGL called the M40 and it is a real b*d*ss.

I quote:

40x51mm

Ripple Effect – formerly Milkor – the South African designers of the Milkor MGL ("M32 MGL" in U.S. service) developed a new "Extended Range Low Pressure" (ERLP) 40x51mm cartridge. This round extends the range of the 40 mm grenade from 400 m (440 yd) to 800 m (880 yd). A new version of the MGL, the XRGL40 is chambered for the new round, but can still fire the regular 40x46mm grenade.

If it is as good as the video portrays, I'm going to make a date soon. This weapon could truly be a serious force multiplier. Old men need their toys too.

I have fired the Chinese QLZ - 87 35mm grenade launcher in it's 6 rnd bipod Light Infantry model. A good weapon, I think the system is lighter than the M32 but the grenades aren't as lethal. But is interesting in that it has a 6,9,12,15 rnd drum. Also could be a real force multiplier.

As for the M72 PI, it is a good weapon and can be supplied as single rounds and discarded. I still have a bias against it in that it is has such a short effective range. I also like the optics that are attached to the tube of the RPG 7v2 or 3. I also like the longer effective range. 900+m for the RPG7 vx 200m for the M72 PI though I like the fact that they have come up with so many variations of the M72 PI that could fill a broad range of missions.