Quote Originally Posted by Kiwigrunt View Post
The accessory rails on the G36 (K) are really only good for bipods, torches etc. Not so good for aiming devices like IRADs etc because the fore stock is only held to the receiver with a single push-pin, and is therefore not very firm/solid. Also, a UGL requires a special fore-stock.
That is of course much better on the likes of HK 416, FN Scar, Robarms XCR etc.
However, it does appear (I have never been near one) that the bottom rail of the Scar is attached to the barrel, not the receiver. I would imagine that that would have a detrimental effect on accuracy when a bipod or UGL are attached to it.

I’m with you there Wilf. The same has been said for the Steyr AUG for the last three decades. I’ve yet to see a soldier with a backpack full of different barrels. You get issued with whatever barrel is on your rifle and that’s it. SF may have a bit more leeway but even for them I doubt that they will run around with an assortment of barrels. You would also need to re-zero your sights on every barrel-change.

Reed, I concur with regards to aiming the old M72. Could never quite get my head around that. And never got enough of them around my head to remedy that.

A number of posts ago (my God, this thread is moving again) you said this Wilf:

You may have hit the nail on the head there. However, when ammo is black (thanks Reed) and you are reduced to yelling “bullets, bullets, bullets”, then you can reintroduce HE by yelling “M72, M72, M72”
Yes, the Mil rails are weak though they do hold accessories that are mostly used in normal duty. THe UGL does use a differrent forestock/mounting system. I think many of the problems of the G36KV is the attempt by HK to try and make a rifle with lightness as one of its biggest issues.

As for the bottom rail on the FN SCAR being attatched to the barrel, it is. I don't like it either but it does seem to do its job well. I found no problems with the grenade launcher, probablely because the UGL doesn't knock the barrel out of zero when it's fired.

I've heard the same thing about the Steyr. Supposedly, it has turned into a real headache for supply.

The M72 PI is a much better weapon but I've already stated my thoughts on the weapon system in another post.

As for "ammo is black" scenarios, I think that the present wars have created a supply system that has matured to a great extent. However, if we have to commit serious numbers of soldiers, (Armies and above) I think that we'll see things not so sanitary.