Quote Originally Posted by jcustis View Post
We need to start scraping together our small change quick, because even if it's not instigated by us, I can imagine that we'll have to figure a way to sell it after the government has fallen. Better to have spin doctors working on that gloomy prospect right now, because it will happen (get back with me on Jan 1 2008) within the year.
Probably <sigh>. Best spin around would be aimed at the local - local security, local support, etc. - tied in with a strong message of Iraq needs to decide its own future. Maybe float the idea of plebiscites...

Quote Originally Posted by jcustis View Post
The same spin needs to be figured out on the Al-Sadr thing. Unless he is assasinated by Sunni or AQ elements, he will continue to be the pre-eminent Robin Hood guy around, drawing moderates closer to his sphere. And to any US policymaker who asserts that we need to remove Sadr from the equation, I say that they need to remove the crack pipe from their lips. Any unfortunate demise of Sadr = open and instant civil war.
Too true! And, like Guevera, I have to wonder how long he would last/will last after Iraq falls apart and the Iranians move into the south.

Marc