A couple of decades ago I took a class in comparative politics which focused upon India, China, and Europe...which made for a pretty interesting mix and comparison. I am rereading one of my text books from that class: India, Government and Politics in a Developing Nation by Robert L. Hardgrave Jr. and Stanley A. Kochanek and this took me back to thinking about centralized planning.

I have bumped into the Five Year Plan concept in a number of interesting places academically and out in the real world. Engineering Planning Cycles, GSA Contracts, Iraq, USSR , and of course China and India.

A quick wikipedia run gave the following for '1966 in Afghanistan'.

Thanks largely to the intelligent use made of the aid given by the U.S.S.R., the United States, West Germany, Britain, China, and the World Bank, the internal economy of the country made good progress.

The first five-year plan, which began in 1956, aimed at encouraging agriculture, especially irrigation. Experience showed, however, that progress in these spheres could only be partially achieved as long as internal communications remained primitive and the natural resources of the country were largely unexplored. As a result, the major effort was diverted to the construction of roads and airports, and to the systematic investigation of sources of water supply and of mineral wealth.

During the course of the second five-year plan, conditions became favourable on many economic front. Promising deposits of natural gas and of iron ore were discovered; the power available for industrial use icreased dramatically; and the extension of irrigation led to substantially increased agricultural production.

In Afghanistan, as in many other underdeveloped countries, however, this rapid success led to the emergence of new problems, unforeseen in the original planning: inflation of prices, difficulties over foreign exchange, and an unhealthy reliance on large-scale external aid for the easing of current domestic shortages. The indications are that the third five-year plan will aim mainly at consolidating what has already been achieved rather than at any new major advances.