Of course I've noticed that this is a seriously old thread! Still, being in the Dutch army, I couldn't resist but react to these posts!

First of all, the Dutch army is of course still in Uruzgan and will remain there at least until december next year. So far, we've been quite succesful despite early criticism on our lack of "fighting spirit". I can assure you that lack of fighting spirit does NOT exist with the individual soldier, but has more to do with domestic politics.
From the early days in 2006 quite a lot has changed. We've gained combat experience (remember this is our first true combat deployment since Korea) and especially in the latter half of 2007 and early 2008 we've seen some very intense fighting.
Most of the province is now relatively quiet, although IED attacks are becoming more frequent, following the trend in the rest of the country.
As far as COIN goes, I think we've done quite well so far.

Reacting to 120mm. It's true that we're allowed to train outside regular training areas in Germany, as we are in our own country. Being brigade recce myself, if we were restricted to training areas I'd be done training within one or two days. Our regular training usually lasts five days covering around 80-120km. And I've never used any traffic control system, just the good old map Mk1 .