George,

If I read you right, then I agree. I don't think censorship serves anyone well and I have repeatedly said that in public to people who sometimes need to hear it.

The issue of YouTube is different. The British sensitivity is a cultural thing. We do not have the same experience as the US as regards constitutional protection of free speech, which is merely a tradition here. Consequently, protection is offered on an ad hoc and politically expedient basis, and is consequently often abused. I said on my blog that I think platforms like YouTube should show more spine and refuse to take down videos just because someone claims to be 'offended' by what is usually pretty innocuous content. They have overhauled their reporting procedures, at least in the US, and should continue to refine them to community advantage.

I might not like what people say but I defend their right to say it, short of illegality. In the UK, 'glorification of terrorism' is an appalling piece of legislative nonsense and should never have made it on to the statute books. Unfortunately, we're stuck with it, despite warnings from the EU and UN that the Terrorism Act (2006) is a flawed document potentially prejudicial to human rights. One of those rights is the freedom of speech and expression...

Tim