If, God forbid, one of my soldiers is killed or injured, or through his action/inaction, contributes to the death or injury of another soldier, BCTP will be one of the things I will place on the blame-line. It is not simply a waste of time, but it is detrimental to the readiness of my soldiers. Equipment can be repaired or requistioned. Money can be raised or collected. But time can never be regained --- whether it's time at a course, on a system, driving a vehicle, or pulling security in a patrol base, those are experiences that contribute to soldier development. I am seriously and thoroughly angered by BCTP and the type of mentality it fosters. I understand division staffs require training. Got it. Instead of using soldiers who are scheduled to deploy, however, why not contractors? Why not AIT soldiers? Why not soldiers who are scheduled to deploy with the division staff that is in training? Why not anyone but soldiers from other divisions who are also scheduled to deploy (especially those deploying to a country other than the one being trained) and have their own training requirements?

I am convinced that BCTP is a negligent act that undermines the readiness of the Army to win its wars. How do I protect my soldiers from taskings that will undermine their readiness? What do I need to say and to whom so that whoever is responsible for BCTP is at least aware that there are soldiers and leaders who are unconvinced that the program provides anything of value?

jcustis, ken and schmedlap, thanks for the words of wisdom. I'm really unconcerned about OERs or the impression other officers have of me. I'll do my best for as long as I'm able. I have no desire to be anyone's fool, especially pezzonvante and other in the way people and their needs. A friend of mine tells me that attitude would make me a terrible enlisted Soldier, and sometimes I wonder if that makes me a bad officer. Growing up, it certainly got me into alot of trouble, but it also led me to some outstanding mentors. My experience here at BCTP has reignited that attitude and has made me seriously reconsider the Army as a life-time commitment.